Thursday, June 05, 2008

Thursday, 05 June 2008 - A false weather alarm

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a false weather alarm.

Thunder.

Not a rumbling, rolling thunder but two loud, violent crashes.

Strange timing, too. Not late afternoon when we expect such storms. But 6:30 in the morning.

Imagine that. A 6:30 AM thunderstorm.

I have a 1:30 PM appointment across town and dislike driving in heavy downpours. I hope the deluge waits until I return home.

_______________

Fortunately, the predicted torrential rains and hail never arrive. I don't think my garden can withstand a rain and hail onslaught - not this early in the growing season. I'm satisfied with the brief rain shower - just enough moisture to soak the mulch.

Now I have to worry about the nighttime temperature.

The weather service predicts the low 40s in the city and about 10 degrees cooler in the foothills where we live. I fear a hard freeze.

So, just after sunset, I carefully drape the tomatoes, peppers and other "fragile" plants with old flannel sheets and pillow cases ... just in case.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Dark storm clouds gather early this morning.

No comments: