Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday, 17 June 2008 - A rainy day

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a rainy day.

Don't empty the water jar until the rain falls. -Philippine proverb

Water is the formless potential out of which creation emerged ... It is by turns the elixir of life or the renewing rain or the devastating flood.
~Scott Russell Sanders, Writing from the Center

I think we're in for a long, dry summer. Probably drought conditions.

While the swollen Mississippi River breaks through levees in Illinois, I'm praying for a little rain for my garden in Colorado. To survive the hot season, even the most xeric plants need occasional sips of water.

Yesterday's misty weather helped, but its benefit will be short lived without subsequent soakings. I'm planning to add mulch to the garden - a few more inches of bark around each plant should help preserve precious moisture and reduce water usage.

In the meantime, T promises to do his "rain sleep."

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.


No comments: