Saturday, June 07, 2008

Saturday, 07 June 2008 - A little bit of luck

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a little bit of luck.

I did all right at this morning's members-only plant sale. Recall that I'm sticking with tried and true plants this year which means I won't even look at an exotic perennial, no matter how glorious the foliage or bloom.

I arrived early and was pleased with the diverse selection (all leftover plants from the May sale). My favorite finds: eggplant (Japanese and Italian), habanero peppers, bronze fennel (a perennial herb), Reiter's creeping thyme (to replace the "ugly" Kmart thyme patches in the front yard), and more brunnera.

When I spied the "tomato, pepper and eggplant" lady (aka Shirley) standing by herself near the cashier, I pounced on the opportunity to share my tomato-growing woes and solicit her advice. She listened patiently and suggested remedies for my age-old problems - I'm sure she's heard it all before. Best of all, she mercifully relieved some of my anxiety when she mentioned her own unexpected meager harvests and ongoing tomato growing pains. Even the experts struggle at times.

I'm beginning to believe that, when it comes to growing a bountiful edible garden, luck plays a larger role than I initially imagined. So much for experience, logic and data. I'm praying that the fates favor my garden this year.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: