Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday, 16 June 2008 - One moment

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one moment.

Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed - in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet.
~1 Corinthians 15:51 NKJV

In a moment.
In the twinkling of an eye.
We shall be changed.

Prophetic words. Especially for S's friend, Tom.

Exactly one year ago, a traumatic brain injury forever changed his life. One immutable moment, a freak accident revisited and analyzed again and again.

My lessons.

- Not to take for granted that my life will extend into the next moment.

I repeatedly tell T that I will take him for a walk in a moment. I say that I will start dinner or water the plants, in a moment. For now, I'm able to keep my "in a moment" promises. One day, the streak will end.

In a single moment, I shall be changed.

- Not to discount or ignore what can transpire in the twinkling of an eye.

Recent events tell the story. An earthquake. A broken levee. A heart attack.

Life changing events occur one eye blink to the next. Always, when I'm not paying attention. Tragedy forces us to account for our most cherished possessions. Not cars or houses or clothes. But the sacred breath of life, family, friends, pets, a dream, a hope, a future.

In the twinkling of an eye, I shall be changed.

- To accept the certainty of change, the moment to moment alterations of air, water, earth and spirit. The stars subtlety shift their celestial positions night after night, the plants grow by mere millimeters, the hourglass drops a few more sand grains on the pile, proof that I am running out of time.

In a moment.
In the twinkling of an eye.
I shall be changed.


For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: