Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday, 28 June 2008 - Local eats

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for local eats.

I like the idea of a locavore challenge. This summer, the Peak to Plains Alliance is signing up people at various farmers markets.

From July through September, participants pledge to eat only food produced within 300 miles of Colorado Springs for one, two or three meals a day. In September, they'll "celebrate" by eating 100% locally grown food for one full week.

I'm positive that I won't be able to complete the most difficult level. But, I can probably follow the rules for one of my two daily meals. I'm thinking lunch, not breakfast.

I already buy locally-produced food whenever possible. I have readily available sources for Colorado flour, eggs, milk, honey, cheese and butter but not olive oil, sugar, oatmeal or almonds.

The local meat market sells Colorado-raised meat and poultry products. Too bad salmon is not a locally grown fish. I wonder if I could still eat tofu. The one I buy is made in Colorado but the soybeans may be grown elsewhere.

Fresh produce is another concern. Until summer fruits and vegetables invade the markets, I'm stuck with lots of out-of-state produce. If my plants have a good summer, I'll have tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and herbs including basil, tarragon, sage and mint. Plus, I can shop the farmers markets and ask generous neighbors for surplus zucchini.

Yes, I think I can manage to eat locally for one meal a day.

I probably won't sign up formally. I will vow, however, to make an honest effort to eat by the locavore rules and see how well I do.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: mirabilis multiflora (desert four o'clock) leaves and ladybug

No comments: