Friday, June 06, 2008

Friday, 06 June 2008 - Knowing the basics

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for knowing the basics.

Like other sports, rock climbing has basic moves and skills that, once mastered, lead to competency (something that is very important to me). That's why I usually don't like an audience when I boulder.

I'm not that good - yet - and usually require several attempts just to stand on the rock. Fortunately, S doesn't mind my steep learning curve. He always makes sure I learn the basics of a given climb. And, sometimes, the first move is the hardest one.

This afternoon, while trying a V2 (5.11+) problem, a group of younger guys joins us along a shady rock wall in Ute Valley Park. I've tried this overhung problem during previous sessions. I can make the right hand moves to a key hold but have not yet made the left hand throw to the top or placed my feet properly below the overhang. At least I can get on the rock easily and make the initial moves smoothly.

Long story short, I reach the top rim of the climb (hands only) for the very first time (must be the adrenaline rush of performing in front of an unexpected audience). Not bad for a 54-year-old woman.

I still have to finish the climb - a difficult top-out over an overhung rim (yikes!). I'll try again next time.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: