Thursday, August 30, 2007

Thursday, 30 August 2007 - Simple garments, gorgeous fabric

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for simple garments, gorgeous fabric.

As I inspect myriad bolts of lovely and expensive material at the fabric boutique, another customer asks me what I sew. I hesitate for a moment, trying to formulate a clever sartorial response.

Here is what I tell her: I make very simple garments from simply gorgeous fabric.

(Note that this statement mirrors my knitting philosophy - of using unique, handcrafted yarn to make very simple sweaters and accessories.)

My response reflects my reality. My petite figure won't tolerate fussy or complicated shapes and patterns. So, I choose classic but modern (sometimes trendy) lines, lengths, necklines, sleeves, drapes.

Note that simple does not mean easy. Any mistake like crooked top-stitching or a poorly sewn sleeve cap becomes a glaring error. Even a simple black top made from a luxury bamboo fiber knit fabric demands designer touches. Like perfect edge stitching and finished seams.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: