Sunday, August 05, 2007

Sunday, 05 August 2007 - Forgotten blessings

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for forgotten blessings.

We just returned from visiting Tom. This is his last night at the local hospital so the visit was quite emotional. Tomorrow morning, he transfers to the rehab facility.

I admit that I am physically tired and emotionally drained. Not just about Tom. Several woe-is-me challenges continue to stalk me. So, instead of writing something original, I am sharing this well-known prayer. It reopened my heart to a bounty of forgotten blessings.

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I had asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

~Prayer of an unknown Confederate soldier

For these blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: