Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunday, 19 August 2007 - Stashes

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my pattern and fabric stashes.

Sewing mends the soul. ~Author Unknown

I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses.
~Author Unknown

I'm a material girl - want to see my fabric collection?
~Author Unknown

I am in a serious sewing mood. I'm not going to make anything fancy or complex like a jacket or coat. I reserve those projects for cooler months. I want new tops to wear with the perfectly fitting jeans I bought on eBay (yes, I found a pair). Plus, a skirt or two. And, tops to wear while climbing.

Instead of heading to the fabric store, I enter my studio and confront two growing stashes: first, patterns, then, fabric.

Patterns.
I collect clothes patterns. I continually study the catalogs and add to my wish list. I buy many patterns when local fabric stores run $1.00 sales ($3.99 for Vogue patterns). I purchase independent designer or coveted out-of-print patterns online.

This morning, I select an easy-to-sew knit top with 3/4-length raglan sleeves, a trendy twist top (very popular right now), and a crossover top. I choose a skirt pattern with an interesting yoke treatment and flared hemline. I'm tempted to make a dress, but decide that I don't want to spend time fitting the bodice.

Fabric.
I'm very picky about the fabrics I buy. Right now, my stash contains yards and yards of knit or stretch fabrics made from sustainable or eco-friendly fibers like organic cotton, bamboo fiber, hemp, linen, tencel, rayon and wool. Lots of black, some white, a few prints.

I select two knits: an organic cotton/lycra (white) and a textured bamboo/lycra (black), both bought online. I also find two tie-dyed cottons from a local (and expensive) fabric boutique, perfect for the skirts (both pieces were heavily discounted remnants).

Now, the fun part begins.

** Alter and layout the patterns.
** Cut and mark the fabric.
** Sew the garments.
** Try on and tweak the fit.
** Finish the seams.
** Hem.
** Wear my newest creations.
** Look and feel like a million bucks.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: