Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday, 17 August 2007 - Wounds and scars

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for wounds and scars.

In some ways we are each of us defined by our scars ...
They are the outward evidence of the life we have lived thus far ...

A sort of road map, markers of the past, of who we are and where we have been ...

They are the lasting reminders that all of life is a process -
first you are whole,
then you are wounded,

and finally you are scarred.


~excerpts from Afflicted Artist Book

I am surprised by my reaction as I read these words. They arouse a mix of raw emotions, unleash a surge of tears, revive that empty feeling in my gut. I thought my deepest wounds had healed, but now I know that they are still with me, embedded firmly in assorted scars. I can't explain it. Perhaps, in a desperate attempt to let go, I forgot to let God.

So, I'm preparing for a new journey - to write about my wholeness, my wounds and my scars. I've been thinking about this topic for quite a while. Even have a title for the book. Just didn't have the courage to begin writing.

It won't be an easy write or read. Still, I feel that I have a story worth telling. I know that I'll sustain new wounds and scars along the way. But, that's part of the creative process - a writer's proof that she's written from her heart. The important thing is that at journey's end, I shall be healed.

First, I am Whole.
Then, I am Wounded.
Finally, I am Scarred.
Now, I am Healed.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: