Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thursday, 23 August 2007 - Respite from summer

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a short respite from summer.

I got an abrupt taste of autumn very early this morning when a blast of cold easterly air woke me up. I quickly closed the window before returning to bed where I immediately pulled the thin, handmade quilt high around my shoulders. Brrrrr. After several stifling 90+ degree days and warm, stuffy evenings, I wasn't prepared for the chill.

(sigh) I love the cooler weather but am worried about the watermelon and pepper plants. Will summer return long enough for the fruit to mature? Or, will I end up dumping more "might have been" plants on the compost pile?

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Fresh basil, ready for picking and pesto.

No comments: