Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Wednesday, 10 May 2006 - Final hard frost

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the season's final hard frost (I hope).

Last night, there came a frost, which has done great damage to my garden.... It is sad that Nature will play such tricks on us poor mortals, inviting us with sunny smiles to confide in her, and then, when we are entirely within her power, striking us to the heart. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Ahhh. Springtime along the Front Range.

Surprise! This morning, I awoke to snow and sub-freezing temperatures. The weather service predicts that tonight's low will dip below 30 degrees Fahrenheit. My gardening friends claim that this will be the last hard frost of the season; that we should be able to plant our gardens after May 15.

I trust neither the weather service nor the calendar, having learned my "planting too soon" lessons the hard and expensive way. Consequently, I won't begin my planting spree until June 1. Just in case.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: