Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thursday, 11 May 2006 - A gardener's intuition

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a gardener's intuition.

Gardening is a kind of disease. It infects you, you cannot escape it. When you go visiting, your eyes rove about the garden; you interrupt the serious cocktail drinking because of an irresistible impulse to get up and pull a weed. ~Lewis Gannit

Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart. ~Russell Page

This week, I helped the local Horicultural Arts Society set up for their annual spring plant sale. The volunteers got to select and buy plants before the sale officially begins on Friday morning. I bought several large shrubs for the back yard and a dozen xeric perennials for the front yard.

My next challenge: deciding where to plant the shrubs. With very little landscaping, the backyard is a blank canvas just begging for form and color. I'll do what I always do - just follow my intuition.

I'll plant the verbena here so I can see it from the kitchen window and the buddleia over there where it can grow as tall and wide as it wishes. The three cytisus should thrive in the hot and dry south-facing plot. The spirea will be perfect near this penstemon patch.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: