Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tuesday, 02 May 2006 - A college memory

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a college memory.

This morning, I read that Bill Kirschner, the founder of K2 Corp., had died. I never learned to alpine ski, preferring the easier sports of cross country skiing and snowshoeing. So, I have virtually no direct connection to Mr. Kirshner or his company. But, he is part of a cherished memory. His death triggered this remembrance.

At UCLA, my dorm roommates were tall women - at least 5'8" in height. I was (and still am) petite - about 5' 2". During my sophomore year, my roommate was Mary Jane, a beautiful, willowy blond math major. She had an optimistic spirit and carefree attitude (in contrast to my intense, must get an A attitude). Mare, as we called her, gave many of us endearing nicknames. Mine was "Shorts," after the "revolutionary" K2 Shorts alpine skis.

Rest in peace, Mr. Kirshner. And thanks for touching my life in a unexpected way.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: