Thursday, May 18, 2006

Thursday, 18 May 2006 - Neighbors, gardens and good conversation

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for neighbors, gardens and good conversation.

The best kind of friend is the one you could sit on a porch with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've had. ~Author Unknown

When I work in the front yard garden, a neighbor or two will stop by to chat and pet T, our chocolate Labrador retriever. Early this evening, I caught up with Bill (our next door neighbor for over 19 years and just about the only person on the block who shares our liberal political beliefs) and Sherry (our newest neighbor who moved here from Portland, OR).

Everyone, it seems, is interested in my garden's health and success. After all, I am the "radical" who dug up her front lawn to plant a xeriscape garden. Fortunately, my plants are thriving and beginning to bloom.

Sherry reminds me that it's time to plan a Memorial Day block party (an activity that usually falls on my shoulders). My reputation as the party organizer remains intact.

For these blessings, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: