Saturday, May 20, 2006

Saturday, 20 May 2006 - One out-of-place Columbine


Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for one out-of-place Columbine.

Pluck not the wayside flower;
It is the traveler's dower.
~William Allingham

Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo

Our neighbor, Hayden, noticed it first. A Columbine plant with two lovely blooms growing in the seam between the sidewalk and curb in front of Bill's house. We look for more but find only dandelions and wild violets.

Where in the world did it come from? Possible a seed that traveled from my backyard to the sidewalk since I grow Columbines in my garden. But, I thought they preferred shade and moisture!

We stand around the Columbine, admiring its beauty and praising its strength to grow in such an inhospitable spot.

As usual, there's a lesson here. Yes, the wind is singing to me, "Bloom where you are planted."

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: