Saturday, January 28, 2006

Saturday, 28 January 2006 - Environmentalists

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for those who will protect the environment from our high tech trash.

Modern technology
Owes ecology
An apology.
~Alan M. Eddison

Earlier this month, as my husband, S, and I surveyed the thousands of new electronic products on display at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, one question kept going through my head: what are we going to do with the old equipment?

I asked this question many times during the show. As I expected, the company reps and techie consumers had no answer. Neither did the high-dollar consultants and analysts.

Anyway, I am going on the record with my concern. And, I continue to research companies and organizations that claim to be doing something about the tons of electronic and potentially toxic trash that Americans generate each year.

I pray that someone has the answer and will implement a workable solution soon.

In the meantime, S and I are not in the market for a new big-screen, high definition television or any other digital home gadget. Although we've worked in the high tech industry for many years, we are very late adopters of new technology.

Our 27" regular television works just fine (we are, after all, trying to cut down on the amount of time we watch TV). Anyway, we'd rather put the money into savings and think about buying things that add real value to our lives: a new road bicycle for S, a European vacation for both of us, art and gardening supplies for me, and treats for T.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: