Monday, January 30, 2006

Monday, 30 January 2006 - My garden, even in winter

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my garden, even in winter.

The gardening catalogues arrive daily, giving me something interesting to read while on break from work. My favorite catalogue is from High Country Gardens in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I've had great success with their plants.

I flip through the pages, searching for extra special plants to add to my garden this year. I have limited space so I must be prudent with my purchases. My options are also limited by climate and soil conditions. The plant must be a xeric perennial that can survive a clay-type soil, deer and rabbits, very little rainfall and full summer sun. In return for its hardiness and beauty, I will feed it organic food and filtered Prill water, add fresh pine mulch at least twice a year, trim it as needed, pamper it throughout the year, and revel in its lifecycle. I would say that's a fair trade.

(Note for calendar: I watered the front yard plants and trees today. With this winter's meager snowfall, I'm sure they were very thirsty.)

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: