Monday, January 02, 2006

Monday, 02 January 2006 - A diet plan that works

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a diet plan that works for me.

I am not overweight. At 5'2" and less than 110 pounds, I'm probably on the slim side in some people's opinions. I call myself "athletically trim" since I enjoy sports and have a mesomorph body type.

I also have a "fat complex" that began nearly 45 years ago when a stranger called me "chubby" (must have been my round face since I was a petite child). So, I've spent most of my life obsessed with food and my weight - scared of becoming fat (instead of being happy to be thin).

To those of you who envy slim people, I say, "Beware!" You don't know the whole story behind their "slimness" and, chances are, you could not successfully emulate their lifestyle.

For those of you who are interested, here's how I've managed my weight and diet for the past 20+ years (I turn 52 in March). As you will see, my plan is simple, but not easy to follow. To me, maintaining a healthy body requires incredible discipline, personal commitment and great passion.

1. Food has no power in my life. When I was 29 or 30, I openly declared, "Food, you have no power over me. Food, you have no power in life." Since that day, I've been able to eat just about anything without gaining weight. Note, however, that I usually make healthy choices and exercise daily.

2. I regard food as either medicine or poison. So, eating something that's not good for me means I've poisoned my body. You get the idea.

3. I eat "real" food, not "fake" food like meal substitutes. Real food satisfies my hunger while fake food does not.

4. I eat whole foods whenever possible so I get the maximum nutritional benefits.

5. I eat locally grown organic fruits, vegetables and meats whenever possible even if it means exceeding our food budget.

6. I never weigh myself. In fact, we don't own a scale. I judge my weight by whether or not I comfortably fit into my size 2 petite skinny jeans from J Crew or Banana Republic.

7. I exercise every day regardless of the weather or how I feel. Some days, walking 2-3 miles around the park with T is the only exercise I get. Most days, I incorporate favorite Pilates, Callanetics, yoga, weightlifting and boxing exercises into my routine.

8. I try not to eat after 6 PM. My main and usually only meal is lunch. I do, however, snack on fruit or popcorn. I drink hot chai tea or fruit juice for breakfast and sip lemon ice water throughout the day.

9. I no longer take commercial vitamin supplements. Instead, I make and take herbal formulas based on tried and true recipes from well-known herbalists. The herbs supply minerals, regulate my digestive processes, kill parasites, remove heavy metals, regulate my thyroid gland, and cleanse my blood, liver, bowels and kidneys.

10. I strive to maintain an alkaline pH of 6.5 or higher so my body can assimilate calcium and other minerals. Ever since I've done this, my teeth have regrown enamel on worn down surfaces. I'm sure that my bones are also stronger and healthier.

11. I still eat chocolate - the darker the better.

12. I cook nearly all of our meals from scratch. My concessions - using premade organic pasta sauce when I'm in a hurry or fresh tomatoes are too expensive, Hatch enchilada sauce and canned whole chilis.

13. I rarely drink alcoholic beverages - probably less than one drink per month. When I do drink, I prefer red wine.

14. I very rarely eat out - usually by choice.

15. I drink Prill water (helps alkalize my system) and organic teas (may be caffeinated).

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: