Sunday, May 01, 2005

Sunday, 1 May 2005 - Season of transition

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a season of transition.

The dreary weather continues. Today, the storm front comes from the south. As T and I hike along the trail, the sky spits snow and rain upon the earth. The sticky clay soil clings to my boots and T's paws. I try to walk on grassy or rocky areas, but can't avoid the annoying muck. I spend several minutes cleaning my boots in the creek before we return home.


I notice that the grass and plants thrive in the wet environment. The brown foothills now wear spring green accents. The younger scrub oak trees show off bright green leaves while their elders bear thousands of leaf buds. I discover a diversity of wildflowers blooming along the trail.

My own garden continues to thrive. In spite of the fog and snow flurries, the daffodils are close to blooming. Perhaps, after seeing their cheery yellow faces, the sun will finally emerge from its hiding place behind the mass of gray clouds.

This is our nineteenth Colorado spring. Despite the years, I am still learning that spring is a process, not a period with a set timetable that I can map out on the calendar. Winter doesn't officially end in March nor does spring officially begin. The former slowly eases out of our lives as the latter carefully eases in. The transition requires patience, faith, and a sense of humor. In my garden and in my life, I continue to nurture all three.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: