Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Wednesday, 11 May 2005 - Life's possibilities

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for life's possibilities.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:34 NKJV

I feel depressed today. Still no results from months and months of job-hunting. From what I can tell, at 51, I am too old, have too much experience, and am too expensive. Translation: I feel useless and unwanted and unappreciated. Most of all, I wonder why you, God, would give me talent and experience and no place to use them.

After T and I return from our morning hike, I sit down at the computer. As part of my daily routine, I check an online forum where people discuss health issues and natural remedies. One posting catches my eye" "unbearable symptoms ... please, please, please help!" I open the message and read about a woman who suffers from several debilitating ailments. She's hit another treatment roadblock and desperately needs help finding a breakthrough.

Wow. And I thought my life was unbearable and a lost cause. On her best day, this woman can barely drink a quart of diluted tea or move her body without intense pain. In comparison, my problems, though real to me, seem so small and insignficant. I immediately stop the pity-party and shut down the negative self-talk. I choose my life and all its challenges over another's.

In her many books on creativity and spirituality, Julia Cameron suggests ways to spend Job-inspired "desert" time. I find a writing exercise that focuses on life's possibilities, not its immediate realities. This should revive my spirits.

After taking a deep breath, I begin: "If time and money weren't an issue, I would ..."

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: