Friday, May 20, 2005

Friday, 20 May 2005 - Trusty sewing machine

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my trusty sewing machine.

I learned to sew on a Singer treadle sewing machine when I was 10. For someone who loved clothes, the skill was a necessity. After all, I had four sisters and no money for store-bought clothes. As the second daughter, I was also tired of wearing my older sister's hand-me-downs. For years, I sewed everything - prom dresses, school clothes, bikinis, suits and coats.

These days, I sew on my tried and true Viking machine that was top-of-the-line when I bought it in 1985. On this machine, I've fashioned hundreds of items including my wedding dress, outfits for my niece when she was little and not brand name conscious, Hawaiian shirts for S, curtains for the bedrooms, pieced quilts, dolls, toys, and an extensive career wardrobe (once upon a time, I wore tailored suits to work everyday). It was professionally cleaned and serviced only once - last year when, in the middle of a quilting project, it stopped picking up the bobbin thread. I hope my sewing machine remains in excellent health for years to come.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: