Monday, May 16, 2005

Monday, 16 May 2005 - Two blue spruce trees

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for two blue spruce trees that graced our neighborhood for many years. Unfortunately, this is a belated tribute.

Our neighbor decided to cut down these towering trees, much to my dismay. The trees stood tall and regal this morning, providing the birds with shade and shelter. Now, they're mere stumps. The workmen discovered four nests with fledglings or eggs. Spring is not a good time to cut down trees. I grieve privately.

I take for granted the natural landscape that surrounds our neighborhood. I forget that there's always the chance that the plants and animals I love could disappear tomorrow. We're already losing much of the open space abutting the park to a housing development. We're especially sad because our beloved trail winds through this area.

I think it's time to plant a new tree in the back yard - something that T and the birds can enjoy.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: