Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Tuesday, 26 June 2007 - End of heat wave

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the end of our June heat wave.

If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back? ~Stephen Wright

Summer's first heat wave. It arrives each June and stays for at least a week.

I write during the morning or late at night - my west-facing, top floor studio is intolerably hot after 1 PM. T does his best to cope with the heat, sleeping soundly through the hottest hours. Even, S, a true child of summer, is uncomfortable. At night, we all struggle to sleep.

Twice a day, I water the tomatoes, watermelons, herbs, raspberries, strawberries and newest shrubs and perennials. The peppers thrive in the hot, dry heat, requiring a drink only when their leaves droop.

90 degrees F and climbing. Brutal. It's even too hot to go rock climbing.

During the evening, I try to coax cooler air to enter the house while urging warmer air to leave. Vain efforts. So much for osmosis and homeostasis.

And, I know it's really hot when the expensive phrase, "central air conditioning," creeps into our conversations.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: