Monday, June 04, 2007

Monday, 04 June 2007 - Breakfast in the garden

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for breakfast in the garden.

Last month, my older sister, G, who lives in the UK, and I exchanged several emails about our oatmeal-for-breakfast habits.

It turns out that we both make this humble dish using Irish (steel cut) oats and assorted seeds. She's very creative with her final rendition, adding an array of fresh and dried fruits, nuts and spices.

I'm more predictable, always adding okara (soybean mash left after making soy milk) for protein, cinnamon and flax seeds to the mix. To serve, I embellish my generous portion with sliced almonds and dried cherries or cranberries (for sweetness). (Note that T also likes oatmeal. To his serving I stir in a half tablespoon of diatomaceous earth to combat parasites and a half teaspoon or so of organic flax oil to help keep his coat shiny.)

During the winter, I eat my oatmeal while huddling under a blanket and watching a few minutes of television. I usually catch Sesame Street - am often just in time for Elmo's World - you gotta love that whacky Mr. Noodle and Dorothy the goldfish.

During the warmer months, my breakfast venue moves outdoors. I get to eat my oatmeal in the garden.

With bowl in the left hand and spoon in the right, I stroll slowly toward the gardens on the north side of the house. After stepping very carefully around several plants, I find a prime spot to watch bees and butterflies hover around the catmint's (nepeta x walker's low) deep purple blooms.

Some of my observations:
-The three chocolate mint plants that now live near the east fence are thriving (can't wait to use their aromatic leaves to make mint juleps and mojitos).
- Several new strawberry plant runners grew overnight.
- Looks like the brunnera will continue to produce their signature blue flowers for another week.
- More pink Columbine blooms decorate the xeric garden (they usually do better in the wetter and cooler shade garden).
- The white jupiter's beard (centranthus alba) in the xeric northwest garden is getting ready to flower.

I wander over to the small vegetable plot on the south side of the yard. There, I visually inspect three cherry tomato plants and happily discover several bright yellow blossoms. I also note that, in a few minutes, I must water the basil and watermelon seedlings.

I casually chew the last spoonful of almonds, cherries and oatmeal.

(sigh) I'm near the end of my breakfast ritual.

I pause, facing west. My back, now turned towards the morning sun, absorbs a day's worth of light and warmth.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: