Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thursday, 07 June 2007 - The end of one violent windstorm

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the end of one violent windstorm.

Now the gardener is the one who has seen everything ruined so many times that (even as his pain increases with each loss) he comprehends - truly knows - that where there was a garden once, it can be again, or where there never was, there yet can be a garden. ~Henry Mitchell

Forty to sixty miles per hour - the speeds at which the dry southwest winds blew ceaselessly, violently and mercilessly through my garden for the past 36 hours or so.

The result: severely damaged plants and one very heartbroken and distressed gardener (me). In particular, my "babies," the three cherry tomato plants, are in terrible shape. I'll do my very best to nurse them back to health.

Right now, I'm unsure what steps I'll take to salvage my treasures. I watered many of them - the moisture revived the hardiest ones. I'm sure that most of the perennials, herbs and shrubs will survive their injuries and even bloom later this summer.

Note to self: must seriously rethink my future vegetable gardening plans (it's a good thing that we don't depend on my garden for meal ingredients).

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Columbine (on a happier, pre-windstorm day)

No comments: