Saturday, June 09, 2007

Saturday, 09 June 2007 - Another round of planting

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for another round of planting.

I didn't intend to buy dozens of new plants for my gardens this morning.

Must have been the perfect summer-like weather and the allure of tried-and-true and exotic perennials, xeric shrubs and rare ornamental grasses.

Must have been the gardening experts who casually refer to plants by their Latin names (this time, Allison served as my personal shopper).

And, did I mention the heavily discounted prices?

Yes, I indulged (probably overindulged) at the exclusive plant sale where Horticultural Art Society members can buy the "leftovers" from the big May sale. My rationale for buying: my gardens deserve continual face lifts.

Anyway, I'm delighted that my planting days are not yet over for the season. I'm looking forward to another week of very dirty hands and fingernails, the heady scent of rich, moist earth (in my case, heavily amended clay dirt) and the discovery of earthworms in newly-dug holes.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: