Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tuesday, 29 May 2007 - Sun roses

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for sun roses (Helianthemum nummerlarium).

I am a devout rose lover. I fondly remember the ones that grew each year in my dad's garden. I covet the "gourmet" roses that proliferate in my brother-in-law's Manhattan Beach garden.

Alas, I don't have the time, resources and patience to cultivate roses in Colorado. Instead, I grow sun roses - perfect for our arid climate and clay soil. I love their delicate, richly-hued blossoms that emerge from sage green stems. I wish they were fragrant (guess I can't have my cake and eat it too).

Last week, I added three more (two pink and one orange) to the backyard garden. Just in time for their late-spring blooming extravaganza.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: