Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Wednesday, 7 December 2005 - Cold days, warm hearts

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for cold days, warm hearts.

O, wind,
If Winter comes,
can Spring be far behind?
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show. ~Andrew Wyeth

One kind word can warm three winter months. ~Japanese Proverb

Every mile is two in winter. ~George Herbert

T and I leave the house for a quick spin around the park. The sunny skies deceive us. As soon as I step outside, the bitter cold air quickly fills my lungs and chills my face. Breathing is a bit of a chore. I feel icy prickles forming as the moisture from the exhaled air immediately freezes around my nostrils. It is cold - really, really cold this morning.

We manage just one lap around the park. T doesn't seem to mind the weather. He prances by my side, excited and elated by the fresh powder and brisk temperatures. We end up jogging. Although the increased activity increases my heart rate, I'm also breathing more deeply - probably not a good thing for my lungs since I'm not used to exercising in arctic air. Before heading for home, we greet the boys who've arrived with their sleds. No school today. Time for some winter recreation.

T and I visit the park once more in the afternoon, just in time to catch the final rays of sunshine. We feel the temperature plummet as shadows lengthen across the valley. One lap is enough. We hurry home, being extra careful not to step on the icy patches decorating the sidewalk and street.

Hot peppermint tea and freshly made turkey and wild rice soup await me. All T expects is a treat from the gourmet goodie bag. He's happy just to be with us, safe and sound on the coldest day of the year.

(I just checked the weather report. Looks like we endured a day of record-setting cold. The official high: 1 degree F. Our adventure isn't over just yet. The weatherman predicts double digit below zero temperatures tonight.)

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: