Monday, December 05, 2005

Monday, 5 December 2005 - The chance to do better

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the chance to do better.

Every December, my friend, the social activist, sends me Gandhi's list of Seven Deadly Social Sins:

1. politics without principle
2. wealth without work
3. commerce without morality
4. pleasure without conscience
5. education without character
6. science without humanity
7. worship without sacrifice

She also sends her report card for our nation regarding the state of our "social sins." Sadly, we're not doing very well according to her analysis.

She is also a supreme optimist and example-setter. Her final statement encourages me to contribute to our nation's social health and legacy by changing how I live. After all, she writes, Gandhi also urged us to be the change we want to see in the world.

I vow to do better.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: