Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Tuesday, 13 December 2005 - A year of gratitude

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a year of gratitude.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;


Then took the other, just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

~Robert Frost

I began this blog/journal one year ago today. During my one year sojourn, I've written daily about something for which I am thankful. On some days, I was inspired and wrote essays. On others, one or two lines were all I could muster. On most, I found a sense of peace and quiet in my miniscule corner of the vast World Wide Web. I'm not complaining, just stating a fact. At least I can now claim a spot on the Internet. At least I can look back and see from where I came.

The past year has been a time of self-discovery and confirmation. Here are a few of the things I've learned and confirmed:

  • My physical world is actually quite small, centering almost exclusively around our home and neighborhood. The ordinary comings and goings of everyday life enthrall and inspire me.
  • In real life, I rarely venture beyond the city limits. In my imagination, however, I'm a world traveler.
  • Colorado's quirky and unpredictable weather is an important aspect of my life. It influences my wardrobe du jour, my exercise and diet regimen, and my ever changing mood.
  • I pray for others and continually hope that others are praying for me.
  • I hate clutter. Yet, decluttering my life is an ongoing and annoying challenge.
  • I still prefer to give rather than receive.
  • I adore all things French.
  • Serendipity is one of my favorite words.
  • Lance Armstrong is one of my heros.
  • Robert Frost's famous poem, The Road Less Traveled, is one of my all-time favorites because it describes how I've chosen to live my life.
  • My true passions are writing, reading, gardening, cooking, knitting, teaching and shopping.
  • I am a Sudoku puzzle addict and am directly responsible for my neighbor's addiction.
  • I work best with music playing softly in the background.
  • Even though I don't work outside the home, I still prefer to wear and carry designer labels - all items bought at deeply discounted prices, of course.
  • I love to walk with our chocolate Lab, T, along the trail (now under development) and around our beloved park. T faithfully takes me out at least twice a day, regardless of the weather.
  • I'm a lover of words and a collector of quotations.
  • If I am to become fluent in French, I need to be more disciplined with my studies.
  • I am getting closer to earning a PhD in life.
  • At age 51, I have probably lived half my life (unless I live to 104).
  • I still get depressed, especially around the holidays.
  • My blessings are many.
  • My cup runneth over daily with God's grace.
  • I have so much for which to be grateful.

I don't know where I will go from here. I enjoy writing in this journal and will continue to do so. But, I am also eager to complete other writing projects.

A year ago, the door to my future stood before me, closed and locked. Today, it's unlocked and wide open. The possibilities for my writing and my life abound. It's mine, all mine, and I claim it for myself and for God.

As I count my many blessings, I have only to look around me - to my husband, S, our canine son, T, and my dear friends and neighbors - for a generous and healthy dose of love, hope and inspiration.

If you've accompanied me for all or part of my journey, thank you. We are, after all, in this together.

For these many blessings, I am very grateful.

Amen.

No comments: