Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thursday, 1 December 2005 - Quiet December afternoon

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a quiet December afternoon.

On this cold and windy day, I glance out the window and study the leafless trees and bushes that decorate the foothills behind our home. A barren, cold world. Even the blue sky is tinged in ice.

Cold air leaks into my studio. Yes, our house needs new windows - an expensive but necessary expense. Maybe next year, we say. After we've paid for the new furnace and new refrigerator. Or after a long-awaited trip to Paris and beyond, I say, dreaming of warmer climes.

I grab the wool afghan and slip it over my legs. There, all better for now. Sips of hot apple cider taste wonderful between irregularly timed stints typing on my laptop computer. I am busy writing. Maybe a poem or two. Possibly a paragraph for the book. Perhaps an entry for this blog. In the background, Gary Lamb's CD, Angel - my favorite - fills the air with lovely piano and violin duets. Soulful music for a quiet and sheltered day. I feel like crying.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: