Friday, December 02, 2005

Friday, 02 December 2005: Gift of giving

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the gift of giving.

For it is in giving that we receive. ~St. Francis of Assisi

I have to go to the mall today. I've been to the mall fewer than five times this year and dreaded each visit. But, I have no choice. I "adopted" a senior citizen for the holidays and she wants sweats for Christmas. So, off I go to see what the department stores have in stock.

As I approach the mall entrance from the covered parking area, I say hello to the person manning the Salvation Army kettle. He's ringing his bell loudly and greeting the shoppers entering and exiting - no one, I see, is contributing. So, I stop and write a check and drop it in the kettle. The man is elated and thanks me. I wish him a Merry Christmas and quickly enter the mall to begin my shopping adventure.

A couple of hours later, I exit, packages in hand. I say good-bye to the Salvation Army guy and head for my car.

Whew! I had a very good day shopping. I found the sweats at JC Penney. I bought three tops and two bottoms and stayed within my $50 budget thanks to 50% savings and bonus coupons. I also bought a new Oster blender/food processor to replace our 20-year-old blender that died during the summer. It was deeply discounted, of course. And, since I shopped during off-peak hours, I had time to look at this and that and really enjoy the holiday frills without being jostled by the crowds.

Not every shopping expedition ends this successfully. I think my good luck began when I dropped the check in the Salvation Army kettle. You know what they say: What goes around, comes around. What you give comes back 100-fold. The more you give, the more you get.

I want to be living proof of all the above.

For this blessing, I am very grateful.

Amen.

No comments: