Sunday, December 25, 2005

Sunday, 25 December 2005 - Merry Christmas

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a Merry Christmas hike in the mountains.

Perfect weather - deep blue skies, light breezes and warm sunshine. The trail wears remnants of the recent storms - long stretches covered in wet snow. T is in his element - he loves trails and loves to lead us along them.

As I pause at the top of the steep rise, I'm reminded of Robert Frost's poem, "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening." The pine trees and bare Aspen tree branches seem to sing to me: "but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." I hope it all means that 2006 will be an exceptionally good year.

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

~Robert Frost

And, before I forget, Happy Birthday, Jesus. You are the reason for the season.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: