Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Tuesday, 6 September 2005 - The change of seasons

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the change of seasons as I bid adieu to summer and welcome autumn.

falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly
~ John Bailey, a haiku year, 2001

Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.
~ Yoko Ono

Evidence of autumn's early arrival:

  • Cool, crisp mornings.
  • Daily rain showers punctuated by thunder and lightening.
  • Air that no longer holds the sun's heat in the evening.
  • Faded flowers decorating the garden.
  • A few yellow leaves on the Aspen trees.
  • I sip hot green tea in the afternoon.
  • I wear a sweater to keep warm at night.
  • I begin to knit wool scarves and sweaters.
  • I crave homemade chicken soup, baked butternut squash and garlic mashed potatoes.
For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: