Saturday, September 03, 2005

Saturday, 3 September 2005 - Basic necessities for a decent life

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the basic necessities of a decent life.

I am troubled by the human suffering wrought by Hurricane Katrina. I am also humbled by the displaced people, who, after losing their homes and possessions, are so grateful for the mundane provisions I take for granted.

One woman, after taking her first shower in days, expressed her gratitude to the people of Houston for their generosity. In my mind, it's the least we can do - to help our neighbors regardless of the distance between our homes. This is one of those times when the golden rule should prevail.

The impersonal hand of government can never replace the helping hand of a neighbor.
~ Hubert H. Humphrey
"I must do something" always solves more problems than "Something must be done."
~ Author Unknown

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.



No comments: