Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday, 22 July 2008 - Two positive outcomes

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for two positive outcomes.

Although the edible plants and wildflowers thrive in 90 degree temperatures, I wilt like a shade loving perennial.

The heatwave is taking its toll on daily life. After walking just one slow lap around the park, T sleeps all day on the family room floor - the lowest point in the house (not counting the basement). I work in the garden only during the cooler early morning or evening hours. Frequent sips of ice water are my best friends. I postpone writing until nighttime when a cool breeze finally invades my studio. And, after foraging the dry foothills, mule deer dine regularly on my front yard garden's "deer resistant" plants.

There must be something good about this month's continuing drought and heatwave. I can think of only two positive outcomes: fewer noxious weeds are growing in the neighborhood's greenbelt, alley, culvert and open space and no mosquitoes.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: