Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday, 24 July 2008 - A return to bouldering

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a return to bouldering.

Late afternoon. The storm finally clears. I think the next one, already cresting the mountains, won't bring rain. I hope the breeze picks up and clears the muggy air.

S, T and I head to Ute Valley Park to boulder for a few hours. It's our first official visit since S's untimely shoulder injury. I'm anxious to see how well I do.

The hiatus hasn't hurt me too much. As I climb various routes on The Wave, I'm surprised at my core and upper body strength. I'm also pleased by my vastly improved footwork.

Sometimes, a long rest is a good thing. I can recover from the annoying aches and pains that accompany strenuous daily workouts. Just my body's way of reminding me that I am not a 20-something athlete so I should stop trying to be one.

Still, on any given day, I'd rather be climbing.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: