Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday, 12 July 2008 - Strawberry dreams

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for strawberry dreams.

We love to eat fresh strawberries. This year, however, the organic ones are terribly expensive. I won't buy non-organic berries - the pesticide load is too high.

My solution: add strawberries to my perennial edible garden. At the annual plant sale, I was delighted to find alpine strawberry plants. I bought two and promptly planted them near the herbs and rhubarb.

Everyone told me not to expect any fruit the first year. So, I downgraded my expectations, shelved my strawberry dreams and repeated my default mantra, "Just wait until next year."

This morning, the plants surprise me with their display of white blossoms. And, as you know, blossoms are precursors to berries.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: