Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday, 11 July 2008 - Daylily gifts

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for daylily gifts.

Two years ago, a neighbor decided to thin his daylily beds. He asked me if I wanted the excess bulbs.

Although I am not an avid daylily fan, I said "Yes." Who can turn down free plants? Not me.

He promptly gave me over a dozen freshly-dug clumps. It was spring so I had to plant the daylilies right away.

I never planned to add daylilies to the landscape. And these were the hardy, common, everyday variety that thrives in drought conditions.

I decided to plant them throughout the backyard garden - wherever I could find space. A few by the house, a few on the slope, the remainder in the hot, dry and sunny north strip. My rationale: if they live, they live; if they die, they die.

No blossoms last year. No matter. My garden didn't miss them.

But this year, they are making a bold statement.

During the current lull in the summer flowering schedule, their lovely orange blossoms appear daily.

Every morning, they shout "Look at me!"

And I do. In fact, I can't take my eyes off of them.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: