Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday, 25 July 2008 - My sewing stash

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for my sewing stash.

I am in a sewing mood, inspired by the new season of Project Runway and my bulging pattern and fabric stash.

Once upon a time, I sewed every pattern and yard of fabric I bought. Now, unless I start sewing, my stash will outlive me by decades.

On one hand, I take comfort in knowing that, in the event I need a new outfit, I already have the perfect pattern and fabric. But, experience tells me that those special occasions rarely arise.

On the other hand, my lifestyle and wardrobe needs have changed drastically in the last ten years. I now prefer stretch denim jeans to wool crepe suits, high-tech wicking fabrics to silk knits, trendy tees to button-up shirts.

As I survey the pile of luxury fabric, I realize that most of my treasures must go. Not thrown away, but given to another seamstress. Someone who will love them as I have and use them to make beautiful clothes.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: