Today, I am thankful for a memorable 2008 Tour de France.
We haven't followed cycling since the 2006 and 2007 debacles starring Floyd Landis and others.
This year, we gave the Tour de France another chance. And, we're glad we did.
I will remember:
- The exciting race route that engaged us from Stage 1 (rather than boring us for the first week with too many flat stages)
- American Christian Vandevelde's stellar overall performance (he had a real chance to clinch a podium spot but, after one poor mountain stage, finished in 5th place)
- Sprinter Marc Cavanaugh's decisive four stage wins
- Successful breakaways - can't remember when so many succeeded
- The endless debate over the merits of Team CSC's controversial strategy on Alpe d'Huez where Carlos Sastre claimed his first maillot jaune
- The usual excellent live commentary by Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen (the "lads") on Versus - they're the best of the best.
Photo: Tickseed blooms match the color of the maillot jaune.