Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Wednesday, 6 April 2005 - The right to vote

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for the right to vote.

Although I'm not as interested in politics as my husband, S, I believe in voting in every election open to me. Bottomline: If I don't vote, I feel that I don't have the right to complain about our elected officials or how the government spends tax dollars. I prefer to be part of the solution, not the problem.

Our city held a local election yesterday with city council seats up for grabs and several controversial initiatives on the ballot. When I voted around 11 AM, I was only the 19th person in the precinct to vote (out of a possible 2,000 or so registered voters). When S voted at 4 PM, he was number 35. Citywide, only a dismal 15% of all registered voters actually went to the polls (this includes absentee and early voters). What a sad day for democracy. I guess apathy won again.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: