Monday, April 18, 2005

Monday, 18 April 2005 - Lance Armstrong

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for Lance Armstrong.

This afternoon, my favorite cyclist announced that he's retiring from the sport. He'll thrill us one more time by racing this year's Tour de France before calling it quits. He deserves to go out on top - this champion who survived cancer before winning an unprecedented six consecutive Tours.

I know from experience that life's priorities shift when you're thirty-something, and Lance is 33. So, I say, let him go so he can do what's important to him - like being a full-time dad to his young children and raising even more money for cancer research through his foundation.

As cycling fans, S and I have followed Lance's celebrated career for many years. His exit doesn't make things any easier for his legions of fans. I'll live in denial for a while. But, in July 2006, when the riders line up for the prologue, I will finally have to accept his absence. I will miss watching Lance at the gate, adjusting his grip on the handlebars and taking one last deep breath, as the official counts down to the start of yet another Tour de France.

And, in case you're wondering, I wear one of Lance's yellow "live strong" wrist bands - a simple gesture to acknowledge his life and to bless my own.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: