Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wednesday, 29 November 2006 - Wanting what I've got

Dear God:

Today I am thankful for wanting what I've got.

I don't have digital.
I don't have diddly-squat.
It's not having what you want.
It's wanting what you've got.
~Sheryl Crow, "Soak Up the Sun"

In one of my favorite books, the author recounts a holiday shopping expedition to New York City. She's been living in a cottage in Nova Scotia for several months after a difficult divorce. While visiting family and friends for Christmas, she decides to do some last minute gift shopping. The glitz and glamour of Manhattan and 5th Avenue immediately sweep her off her feet as she begins shopping in earnest.


Suddenly, she's overwhelmed by the excess. While standing in the middle of a department store, she begins to suffocate as the piles of merchandise suddenly close in on her. Too much stuff. She panics and runs out of the store, gasping for breath and some sanity. She realizes that she prefers the sparse existence of her little cottage by the sea to the oceans of things that clutter the city stores, our homes and our lives.

Yesterday, I had a similar experience. After climbing in Red Rock Canyon, we rushed across town so S could keep his dental appointment. I didn't want to sit in the dentist's waiting room so S dropped me off at the local Ross discount store - an erstwhile favorite shopping haunt. Since I hadn't been to Ross in ages, I looked forward to browsing the aisles and aisles of clothing, shoes and household goods.

Yikes! An hour of my time wasted rummaging through so much stuff and junk. I didn't see anything I would give anyone for Christmas and nothing I would want to buy for myself or have someone give me. I used to breeze in and out of this store, buying this and that and the other thing that I probably did not need.


It's no longer just about the wasted money and time. It's all about "wanting what I've got."

It's also understanding what's really important in my life - what fills every minute with joy and purpose.

To my surprise, shopping no longer fits the bill.

I was relieved when S pulled up to the curb. I ran out of the store, gasping for breath and some sanity.

Yes, I want everything I've got - a husband who loves me, the best canine son ever, a small circle of close friends, excellent health, a roof over my head, enough money to pay our bills, a refrigerator and pantry filled with food, a closet filled with clothes and shoes I still wear, interesting work that tests my creativity, lots of challenging rock climbing adventures, my laptop computer, cable TV, a high-speed Internet connection, a set of Denise interchangeable knitting needles, and, of course, this blog.

For this blessing, I am very grateful.

Amen.


Photos: Snow!!!!

No comments: