Monday, November 27, 2006

Monday, 27 November 2006 - A fair warning

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for a fair warning: wintry weather ahead.


While a major winter storm from the Northwest advances towards the Rocky Mountain region, I am preparing mentally for the change in weather. Yesterday's ideal 50-something daytime high will soon plummet to the frigid teens (with single digit temperatures at night).

I shouldn't complain. We are, after all, less than a month from the official start of winter. What else should I expect from Mother Nature and her menopausal mood swings?

For the next several days, I'll reluctantly say good-bye to pleasant temperatures, rock climbing adventures and open doors and windows. Then, I'll force myself to say hello to bitter cold, snow and indoor workouts.

We'll try to keep the house thermostat at 63 degrees during the day, 60 degrees at night.

"Put on a heavier jacket," I'll urge S when he wants to turn up the heat. I will be wearing three or four layers of clothing myself.


I don't know where I stored the space heater that warms my feet as I work in my chilly studio/office - will check the basement tomorrow morning.

T won't mind the cooler weather as long as he gets to stay inside the house (spoiled fellow!). His energy level usually rises as the temperature drops. I'm planning to take him on extra long hikes so he'll get enough exercise (remind me to wear heavy gloves, a warm hat and insulated boots).

Winter. Winter. Winter.

I guess it's time to begin dreaming of a white Christmas.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: Red Rock Canyon - Leafless aspen trees decorate the meadow that lies above the east climbing wall

No comments: