Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tuesday, 26 August 2008 - Good neighbor deeds

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for good neighbor deeds.

One of our young friends confesses that whenever her school has a fundraiser, she regards me as her top prospect. She knows that I will listen to her spiel, ask questions about the purpose for the fundraiser and, most importantly, buy something. This time, she's selling Entertainment Books.

Personally, I don't know why our public schools burden young students with fundraising responsibilities. They probably count on the parents and relatives making purchases.

Selling door-to-door is a daunting activity for anyone, let alone children. I remember my own unpleasant selling experiences. Most neighbors answered the door and listened to my spiel. But, in the end, very few bought anything.

So, many years ago, S and I resolved to be good neighbors and do our best to support student activities. If this meant buying magazine subscriptions, tubs of cookie dough, boxes of candy or coupon books, then so be it.

In doing so, I know that we are helping even the shyest children write a small but significant success story, building their confidence in dealing with adults and showing that we care about them and their future.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: