Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Tuesday, 05 August 2008 - Baking weather

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for baking weather.

This morning's unseasonably cool temperature means two things: T will enjoy his walk and I get to bake.

No matter the season, I try to follow this energy-saving rule: whenever I use the oven, I must bake more than one item.

Today, three's the charm: one sour cream pineapple streusel coffee cake, one large foccacia laced with olive oil and one platter of spicy cottage fries (need to use up the Yukon gold potatoes).

The only problem with baking is that S and I have to eat the products. I'm not worried about the foccacia and fries. But, the 9"x 13" calorie-rich coffee cake made with two cups of sour cream and six eggs is another story.

Just when I decide to share it with a neighbor, S announces that M, our Air Force Academy cadet, is free for the rest of the day and wants to spend the evening with us. Classes begin on Thursday, so tonight may be the last time we see him for several weeks.

M arrives just as thunderstorms invade the region. Rock climbing is now out of the question. So, he does laundry and hangs out with T.

Back in the kitchen, I'm glad that I baked the bread and coffeecake this morning - they round out our dinner of grilled salmon topped with homemade tomatillo salsa, sweet corn on the cob and steamed broccoli.

The coffeecake's the real star (I originally thought it might be too "grown up" for a 20-year-old). M, however, eats three large pieces and takes another back to the dorm, leaving just enough for S and I to share for tomorrow's breakfast.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: