Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thursday, 28 August 2008 - First fruits

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for first fruits.

I don't know why, but I am elated when I discover the first evidence of anything edible in my garden. It doesn't matter what grew last year.

The year's first fruits are always a welcomed sight. They prove that, despite environmental challenges and my incessant complaints and worries, I've succeeded.

Here it is, the end of August. Some of my prized edible plants are finally bearing fruit. Finally!

I'm especially pleased to see the sungold cherry tomatoes, eggplants, jalapeno and mariachi peppers, mint and basil doing so well despite the late date. Now I'm praying for one more month of intense sunshine to guarantee the harvest.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

Photo: The season's first ripe sungold cherry tomato is a sight for my sore eyes.

No comments: