Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tuesday, 19 August 2008 - Hindsight

Dear God:

Today, I am thankful for hindsight.

To look backward for a while is to refresh the eye, to restore it, and to render it the more fit for its prime function of looking forward. ~Margaret Fairless Barber, The Roadmender

20-20 hindsight.
Experience.
If only I knew then what I know now.

I glance backward for clues, an understanding, a new truth. Then, intrigued by what I see, I ask why this and that happened instead of something else, but reach no conclusion. I painstakingly dissect good and bad decisions, analyzing to death their tiny fragments.

I replay major themes and find new lyrics sung to the same old tune. I sense overt warning signs, detect subtle first hints and relive embarrassing slaps in the face. I find a fragrant rose here, a sunny daffodil there and bothersome weeds everywhere.

I succeed. I fail. I grieve. I reconsider. I learn. Then, I decide to move on. Sometimes willingly, other times reluctantly. Destination, unknown or nebulous at best. But at least I move on.

For this blessing, I am grateful.

Amen.

No comments: